Finance and Budget Committee
The Finance and Budget Committee was originally established as a Board Policy July 13, 2006 (CSFA Board Policy # 3000.005). It was then formally established as a standing committee within the CSFA By-Laws with Resolution 14-06 at the 2014 CSFA Conference. The committee currently consists of three (3) members of the CSFA Board of Directors and one member at large. They are appointed by the President with the approval of the Board of Directors.
Purpose of the committee
To provide the Board with a proposed balanced annual budget, serve as oversight for monitoring the Association's overall financial condition and to make recommendations pertaining to financial matters to the Board of Directors for their consideration.
Goals of the committee
Committee Chair or co-chair information
- Consistent with the policies of the Board of Directors, prepare the preliminary annual budget in concert with the Executive Director and Association Accountant, and submit to the full Board for approval prior to January 31st of each year.
- To establish and maintain processes with the Executive Director and staff to insure the fiscal viability of the CSFA.
- To review annually and make recommendations to the Board of Directors on administrative costs.
- To review, with the Executive Director, all financial reports on a quarterly basis to ensure that the Association is staying within its approved budget and to make recommendations as needed to the Board of Directors should amendments to the budget be needed.
- To review the annual audit report and all other pertinent financial information and make recommendations (if any) to the Board of Directors for implementation.
- Prepare in concert with the CSFA’s Accountant the annual financial report and submit to the delegates at the annual conference.
- To research, review, prepare grant proposals, and make recommendations to the Board of Directors.
- To ensure that all funds that are expended are for approved purposes and are within the Board approved budget.
- To review updated membership numbers to ensure that projected dues income will meet the approved budget and to make recommendations to the Board concerning membership dues increases and/or other possible revenue generating endeavors.
The current Committee Chair is Steve Wilson
. He is a retired Battalion Chief from the El Centro Fire Department. Director Wilson is a Life Member and has served on the Board of Directors from 2006 to 2008 and then again from 2010 to 2012. Prior to becoming the Chair of the Committee Director Wilson served as a member of the Committee for two years.
Committee Member information
Besides the Committee Chair, the Finance and Budget Committee consists of two other Board members and one member at large. The current Finance and Budget Committee consists of:
(Southern Director) has been an active CSFA Board Member since 2009.He is still active duty as a Captain with Los Angeles City Fire Department.
(Central Director) is a former President of CSFA and has served as a Board member at three different times for a total of 15 years of service. He is retired from "Stanislaus County Consolidated Fire District and is currently a CSFA Life Member.
(Member-at-large) is a Life Member of CSFA and his experience includes; former President of the Non-profits S.A.F.E.R. and the Los Angeles Firemen’s Relief Association and is the Los Angeles Firefighters Association’s Treasurer; His education and qualifications are; National Fire Academy Fire Executive Officer, an AS in Fire Science, a BS in Fire Protection Engineering, and an MS in Public Administration. He represents the Los Angeles City Fire Department (Retired)